How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Tax.appeal.168 Your Own Question
Tax.appeal.168, Tax Accountant
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 3726
Experience:  3+ decades of varied tax industry exp. Tax Biz owner
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Tax.appeal.168 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am 79 yeaars old. I just sold my home which I lived in

Customer Question

I am 79 yeaars old. I just sold my home which I lived in for 39 years. It sold for $275,000 and I received, after real estate fee, closing costs, etc. $254,000. Do I have to pay any federal taxes on any of that money?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Tax.appeal.168 replied 1 year ago.

First you must determine if you incurred a gain or a loss on the sale. As you meet the ownership and residence qualifications, if you are a single tax filer, you qualify for the $250,000 maximum exclusion on the sale. If you are married, file jointly and both you and your meet the qualifications, you can exclude $500,000. It is likely that you will NOT have to pay any tax. For more information on the sale of your home and the exclusion, you can refer to IRS Pub 523. Even if you incur a loss on the sale, you will still need to report the sale on the Schedule D and the Form 8949.

Link to Pub 523:

Let me know if I can be of further assistance to you regarding this matter.