How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29793
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Me, my wife, and her mother bought a residential property.

Customer Question

Me, my wife, and her mother bought a residential property. The property was paid in full. All of our names are ***** ***** deed. We then got a mortgage for the property to renovate the house. The mortgage is in my Wife and mother in laws name. If she gives me money from the loan (Mortgage) to renovate the house is that considered income.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

The loan is NOT a taxable income.
Simply because under regular circumstances that amount is expected to be paid back.
Thus as long as the loan realistically is expected to be paid back - there is no taxable income.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

If you are getting the money from your mother in laws - we need to consider - if you are obligated to pay that amount back?
If yes - that is a loan - and no need to include it into your taxable income.
If you are not expected to pay it back - that is a gift and the gift is not taxable either.
But if the gift is above $14,000 per person per year - the donor will need to file a gift tax return - but most likely - there will not be any gift tax liability.


I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.