How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29964
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a question regarding Proposition 60. I was wondering

Customer Question

I have a question regarding Proposition 60. I was wondering what had to be done to move the tax base from one property to another. We have 4 properties and have held one of them since 1998. We have used it as a rental since 4/2006 and now want to transfer the tax base to the home purchased in 2006. Can we do that since the original home is not worth as much as the newer home.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Proposition 60 allows qualified homeowners the transfer of the base-year value of their principal residence to a replacement dwelling located in the same county.
So - specific application procedure is defined by your county.
If you are in LA county - that is a form to use

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
We live in Riverside County. We were going to transfer the tax base when we purchased the home but did not meet the price requirement, we fell about 20,000 short. We continued to hold both properties with the hope that the old property would appreciate to the point that we could do it. It now has happened that the old property is worth about 60,000 more than the newer property. Can we do the transfer?
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Unless the replacement dwelling satisfies the "equal or lesser value" test, no benefit is available.

The comparison must be made using the full market value of the original property as compared to the full market value of the replacement dwelling as of its date of purchase/completion of new construction. This is important because the sales/purchase price is not always the same as market value. The assessor must determine the market value for each property, which may differ from the sale price.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Assuming the current market value of the replacement dwelling exceeds the new base year value which resulted from a change of ownership of the replacement dwelling. Although the new base-year value was transferred from the original property, it results in a supplemental assessment for the difference between the new base-year value and the current roll value, or $20,000.
Please be aware that not all counties participate in proposition 60 program.
Riverside County has adopted to participate and they have a specific requirement
- homeowners must sell their former residence within 2 years of purchasing the replacement property.
- the market value of the replacement property must be equal to or less than the market value of the former residence.
So you may not keep your old residence longer - if you fail to sell - you would not be able to keep the tax base.