Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
14155347

My wife has no SSN - not a citizen yet. Is this going to

Customer Question

A follow up - my wife has no SSN - not a citizen yet. Is this going to void my ability to file as married?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Hello

The fact that your wife does not have a SSN yet does not stop you from filing joint.

You would need to complete form W7 to apply for an IRS Individual Taxpayer Identification Number (ITIN). An ITIN is a nine-digit number issued by the U.S. Internal Revenue Service (IRS) to individuals who are required for U.S. tax purposes to have a U.S. taxpayer identification number but who do not have and are not eligible to get a social security number (SSN).

If your wife is not eligible to get a SSN then you send your joint return with the W7 form.

An ITIN would be assigned to her and then your return would be processed.

After you view my response, please post below if you need more information or if you need no further clarification a positive rating is appreciated.
I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!