Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I'm in Illinois and building and installing custom millwork

Customer Question
Customer: ***** *****, I'm in...
Customer: ***** *****, I'm in Illinois and building and installing custom millwork for a client in Pennsylvania. Typically I pay Illinois sales tax on materials. Do I need to pay sales tax in Pennsylvania?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: Custom built millwork, cabinets, etc. Permanent installation at clients facility.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Tax Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Customer: Will i get an answer this morning?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
1/8/2016
Tax Professional: socrateaser, Lawyer replied 2 years ago
socrateaser, Lawyer

My answer assumes that your client is not a government agency or federally tax-exempt organization (charity).

Under Pennsylvania law, "A construction contractor is required to pay Sales or Use Tax on all taxable services, equipment, materials, supplies, and/or components used or installed so as to become part of the real estate. The tax is based upon the contractor’s purchase price including delivery charges paid to the supplier. The contractor does not charge Sales Tax on either the construction materials or labor to install the materials. Although the contractor may recoup the cost of Sales Tax paid on its purchase of materials or taxable services, the Sales Tax paid by the contractor should not be separately stated on the invoice to the contractor's customer." PA Dept. of Revenue.

In short, the answer to your question is "yes," you must pay sales tax on the custom millwork, except for the cost of labor and materials which are used to install the millwork.

I hope I've answered your question. Please let me know if you require further clarification. And, please provide a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise, I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

Hello again,

I see that you have reviewed my answer, but that you have not provided a rating. Do you need any further clarification concerning my answer, or is everything satisfactory?

If you need further clarification, concerning this matter, please feel free to ask. If not, I would greatly appreciate a positive feedback rating for my answer -- otherwise I receive nothing for my efforts in your behalf.

Thanks again for using Justanswer!

socrateaser, Lawyer