How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29925
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I neglected to file New York estimated returns the last

Customer Question

I neglected to file New York estimated returns for the the last three quarters because
I thought that overpayment in 2013 and withholding would be enough. It wasn't and I owe about $1000 of a total $3000 estimated tax due.
i plan to pay the entire balance due by January 15 , with my estimated return dividing the payments into the previous four quarters and paying it all in one check on 1/15. Can I make the payment using the federal electronic software , although I'm not a tax professional and have no specific software for that?
Do you agree I can do this and if I can't what are my options.
Turbo Tax has done my New York and Federal returns for years and will do so again this year. However, since my email address has changed , I am unable to access last year's connection and don't want to start a new one unless I have to.
My old email address was***@******.***, which has been closed and does not function. .My old user ID was georgeone and mypassword ***** whyknot49.
My current and past street address is 17 Waverly Place, Queensbury, N.Y. 12804 and my telephone number is(###) ###-####
Please let me know what you think as soon as possible, since I need to file by January 15.
Thank you.
***** *****
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Posted by JustAnswer at customer's request) Hello. I would like to request the following Expert Service(s) from you: Live Phone Call. Let me know if you need more information, or send me the service offer(s) so we can proceed.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

If you want to pay FEDERAL income tax - yes - you may use online payment options provided by the IRS.
But if you are paying state taxes - you woudl need to use state website

You do need to register.

Please clarify what exactly payment do you intend to make?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I plan to pay the entire New York estimated tax balance due for all four quarters- either broken down in four equal amounts of about $250 for each installment or as one check for $1000 for the entire year. I would show in the return the amount paid for each quarter.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Yes - you may pay now the entire balance.

Or you may choose to pay as much as you want.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

See a link on referenced page
Pay estimated income tax


I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Please indicate if you still need help with your tax issues?
I am here to address all your tax related questions.