Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If a house is sold by 4 owners, each receiving a 1099-s,

Customer Question
Customer: if a house is...
Customer: if a house is sold by 4 owners, each receiving a 1099-s, basically splitting the proceeds 4 ways. How is filed with the irs on schedule D?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: My wife and her 2 sisters along with their fathers companion inherited the house when he died. The 4 owners decided to sell and each received a 1099s listing a quarter of the proceeds of the sale. I am not sure how to file the capital gains on a fourth of the proceeds. I can't seem to find info on how to file.
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Tax Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
1/6/2016
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 year ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Your wife, her two sisters and their father's companion will report their 1/4 share as to basis and sale proceeds.

For example, if they each received a 1099-S for $25,000 that would be the sale proceeds less 1/4 of any real estate commissions or closing costs.

The basis would be the 1/4 value as of the date of your wife's father's death because inherited property receives a "stepped up" basis.

Capital gains, if any, is paid on the difference between the basis and selling price. Usually, when property is sold fairly quickly after inheriting, there is no capital gains.

You report the sale of inherited property on Schedule D of Form 1040. You must also provide information about the property on Form 8949, which requires the address of the property, the date you inherited the house, the date of the sale, the sales price and the adjusted or original basis, as applicable.
The IRS considers the sale of inherited real estate long-term capital gains, regardless of how long you owned the property, so you must enter information about the sale in Part II of Schedule D, which starts on Line 8. Use the information you provided on Form 8949 to complete Lines 8 through 21 and enter the resulting figure on Line 13 of Form 1040.

I would be happy to assist you by walking you through the forms, if necessary.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here, and I will be happy to assist you.

Best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent