How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

In 2015 a County Judge awarded my ex-wife 45% of my pension.

Customer Question

In 2015 a County Judge awarded my ex-wife 45% of my pension. My former employer want prepare a check for my ex-wife. So the Judge ordered that I pay my ex-wife directly. My question is since the judge ordered that I'm only entitled to 55% of my pension can I file only the 55% as my income on my tax return.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  MequonCPA replied 1 year ago.

Hi and Welcome to JustAnswer -

You will receive a Form 1099-R for the full amount of the distribution. This amount must be reported on your return. You will report the 45% you gave to your ex-wife as alimony. This will reduce your Adjusted Gross Income to the amount you actually kept. You should advise your ex that she must report this amount as alimony income.

Expert:  MequonCPA replied 1 year ago.

Hi Nicholas - Did you have additional questions regarding this matter?