How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15596
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We would like to confirm whether there are any ACA

Customer Question

We would like to confirm whether there are any ACA requirements for the employees that we currently have under our payroll (using paychex) as we are not sure if they are required to file any form or register for any ACA requirements since they reside outside of the US. Would they need to provide proof of the alternative health coverage that they have in the country where they reside? We are checking to make sure that we are compliant with the ACA requirements.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


Foreign nationals who live in the United States for a short enough period that they do not become resident aliens for federal income tax purposes are not subject to the individual shared responsibility payment even though they may have to file a U.S. income tax return.

U.S. citizens who are not physically present in the United States for at least 330 full days within a 12-month period are treated as having minimum essential coverage for that 12-month period. In addition, U.S. citizens who are bona fide residents of a foreign country (or countries) for an entire taxable year are treated as having minimum essential coverage for that year. In general, these are individuals who qualify for a foreign earned income exclusion under section 911 of the Internal Revenue Code. Individuals may qualify for this rule even if they cannot use the exclusion for all of their foreign earned income.

If the employee is a US citizen or a Resident alien living in the US, then they are required to have coverage.

If the employee is a US citizen but not physically in the US working and meet the requirements to exclude their income they are not required and no proof is required except their ability to exclude foreign earned income. Individuals who qualify for this rule should file Form 8965,Health Coverage Exemptions, with their federal income tax returns.

After you view my response, please post below if you need more information or if you need no further clarification a positive rating is appreciated.
I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!