Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
870116

I need to renew a PTIN number

Customer Question

I need to renew a PTIN number
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

What questions do you have regarding renewal of your PTIN.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Whether applying for a first-time PTIN or renewing a 2015 PTIN, the action can be completed online and only takes a few minutes. The annual fee is $50. If you already have a PTIN and cannot remember your user ID and password, there are online tools to assist you. Tax return preparers can get started at www.irs.gov/ptin.

Form W-12, IRS Paid Preparer Tax Identification Number Application and Renewal, is available for paper applications and renewals, but takes four to six weeks to process. Failure to have and use a valid PTIN when preparing returns may result in penalties for paid tax return preparers. All enrolled agents, regardless of whether they prepare returns, must have a PTIN in order to maintain their status.