How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15308
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a tax law question. It is an IRS related question. If

Customer Question

I have a tax law question. It is an IRS related question. If you sell your house in 2014 for a profit. basically you made a capitol gain on it. How long do you have to buy a new house without getting hit with a tax bill. could you check with what the irs law is on this.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


I would be happy to advise you on the law for selling your house. If this was your main home for at least 2 years out of the last 5 before you sold then you can exclude up to $250,000 of the gain if single and up to $500,000 of the gain if you are married filing joint.

That comes under IRC 121.

The need to replace your home with another was changed some years back. You used to have to do that and then adjust your basis in the replacement house but no longer.

As long as this was your main home if it was not then let me know.

After you view my response, please post if you need more information or if you need no further clarification a positive rating is appreciated.
I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!