How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29966
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Iowa and the Iowa Workforce is trying to collect

Customer Question

I live in Iowa and the Iowa Workforce is trying to collect back unemployment taxes from 2004 and earlier. I closed the business in Oct. 2004. Can they do this? isn't there a statute of limitations?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

There are two types of statute of limitation related to your situation.

- statute of limitation on assessment - which is three years after the tax return was filed. If the tax return is NOT filed - the statute of limitation woudl not apply.

- statute of limitation on collection - which is ten years starting the date of assessment.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Another issue - whether you personally may be held responsible for tax liability assessed to the separate business entity after that entity was dissolved.

Thus as an owner and responsible officer of that business entity - you would be only held responsible if funds were distributed out of the entity and taxes were not paid.

Otherwise - you personally may not be held responsible.

If you are wishing to contest an assessment, generally you must file a written protest within 60 days of the date of the notice of assessment.