Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS
Experience:  Law Degree, specialization in Tax Law and Corporate Law, CFP and MBA, Providing Financial & Tax advice since 1986
1929974

I live in Ohio and managed a region of the United States. I

Customer Question

I live in Ohio and managed a region of the United States. I was hired 11 years ago with a company based in Kentucky. I was recently notified by my company that they had been taking LOCAL taxes out not only for Ohio but for Kentucky as well. They recommended that I complete and submit a Form 211-22 to get a refund for the taxes paid in Kentucky. The problem is that this form only allows me to go back 2 years? What are my options and does my company have any responsibility for reimbursing me the thousands of dollars they took?
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

...

Can you tell me your source for how long you can go back?

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

If this is a statute of limitations, vs a procedural issue, you will have to go after company to recoup the overpayment.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

If, however, this is just a processing issue, then I can call KY and see if what they have done in similar situations.

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Tell me everything you know, and where you got the information ... I'll be looking at the KY code ... And After9:00, I'll cal KY's Dept of revenue

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Kieth, ... Did you see my information request?

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

OK, Have spoken with KY dept of revenue.

...

The tax is an occupational tax, meaning that if you worked in KY it would be owed (sounds like that's not the case)

...

They also indicated that I would have to contact the local give in this ... As this is a county occupational tax ...

...

Can you tell me the county?

Expert:  Lane replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Just checking back in .. DId you see my questions?

...

If you can give me the specific county for your home office, I can speak with them aboutwhether this is a statute of limitations issue or not and then we can go from there