How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15747
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

We started a non reporting association. we got a fed id

Customer Question

we started a non reporting association . we got a fed id number . and we have never received any notices that we had to report our business.
here is our basic business. we have a clinic for our association every year. we collect fees and such. we pay out all the expenses and generally have some money left over. we hold an event that we put on and we collect a gate for this to help with expenses. we pay out the expenses.This event loses money each year. we put together another event that sends people to an event and we pay all the expenses for these 25 or so people. this event loses money each year. We have another last event that we charge to participate we again pay out expenses and this is the event that actually makes money to support. anyways we have never received any notice to file anything from the IRS and it has just come to our attention that maybe we should have been filling out a card or something each year?
any help or advice to catch this up and such with IRS if we are supposed to be filing something.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


Most nonprofit tax-exempt organizations are required to file annual tax returns with the IRS. Even though most tax-exempt nonprofit organizations do not actually pay federal taxes, most do have to file an informational return with the IRS. This annual reporting return is called a Form 990.

The type of Form 990 to be filed by an organization depends on the filing year and the gross receipts of the organization. The different forms include Forms 990, 990-EZ and 990-N.

Here is a link to the IRS chart that tells you which your organization would have to file

Look at the gross receipts and see which you need.

If you have lost your status I can advise on what steps you need to take.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Organizations that do not file for three consecutive years automatically lose their tax-exempt status. An automatic revocation is effective on the original filing due date of the third annual return or notice. (Section 6033(j) of the Internal Revenue Code)

If an organization’s tax-exempt status is automatically revoked, it is no longer exempt from federal income tax.

There are 4 ways to be be reinstated.

Organizations that were eligible to file 990-EZ or 990-N (ePostcard) for the three years that caused their revocation may have their tax-exempt status retroactively reinstated.

These organizations should write on the top of the Form 1023 or Form 1024, “Revenue Procedure 2014-11, Streamlined Retroactive Reinstatement,” and mail the application and user fee to:

Internal Revenue Service
P.O. Box 12192
Covington, KY###-##-####/p>

In addition, the Service will not impose the Section 6652(c) penalty for failure to file annual returns for the three consecutive taxable years that caused the organization to be revoked if the organization is retroactively reinstated under this procedure and files properly completed and executed paper Forms 990-EZ for all such taxable years.

I sincerely ***** ***** information is helpful.

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

If you have any other questions, please ask me – I’ll be happy to respond. Thank you!

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

After you view my response, please post if you need more information or if you need no further clarification a positive rating is appreciated.
I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!