How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Anne Your Own Question
Anne, Master Tax Preparer
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2430
Experience:  Enrolled Agent with 25 Years Experience specializing Individual and Small Businesses
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Anne is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

IRS Form 4361. Licensed as a minister in 2015. Is there

Customer Question

IRS Form 4361. Licensed as a minister in 2015. Is there any need to file the form in 2015 to use the exemption from Social Security? My understanding is I can do this in the second tax year, but don't know how that impacts exemption in year one

Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Anne replied 1 year ago.


I'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 27 years, and I'll be happy to help you.

You can not file the 4361 form until the 2nd year in which you have had more than $400 in Self Employment .This means that you can not take the exemption for the SS tax in 2015 on your 2015 Federal 1040. Please see page 6 of below:

You may qualify for a repayment of SE taxes you paid for an earlier year. (Also on page 6)

If you have any questions, please post them here and I'll be notified.

If this has helped you , please take the moment to rate positive by clicking on the stars.

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge

Thank you for choosing justanswer.