How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15338
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Just got a notice that put a tax lein on my bank account, I

Customer Question

Customer: ***** *****. just got a notice that Virginia put a tax lein on my bank account, I haven't lived in VA for more than 3 years. I do work in dc (government work) and have 2 cars registered in Va, insurance and 3 other vehicals are garaged in Il. (where I live), work was done in DC,MD never VA. while there I stayed in motel, paid state and city taxes at motel room rates.... so what gives VA the right to my money?
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: like what?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Tax Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: yes, they snatched $6200, right out of my bank account
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


VA is going by their understanding of your residency.

If they have taxed you on income in a year that you neither lived nor worked in VA you would need to respond to any notices they have sent and show your proof. They most likely sent notices to your last known address. Third party liens (like the one on your bank account) are often used after a minimum of two notices.

You can also call(###) ###-####the VA state revenue department.

When you show the state that you were not a resident and did not have any VA sourced income they will return your funds.

Contact them as soon as you can so you can speak about the true nature of your residency.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I of knew all you told me already , looked it up online!, I was looking for legal statutes or precedence's to use while talking to them. How can they send notices to a place I don't live at and expect a response?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

The state is required to send a notice and their sending the notice to a last known address is really all they are required to do unfortunately.

Your proof of your true residence is all you should need.

Sometimes though a taxpayer needs assistance when the tax authority is not seeing the real picture or is not following law.

VA like the IRS has a Taxpayer Advocate office that you can contact and their assistance is free.

You will need to provide a detailed description of the problem or complaint and the steps you have taken to resolve the issue. You can phone:(###) ###-####or you can write them:

Taxpayer Rights Advocate
Virginia Department of Taxation
P.O. Box 546
Richmond, Virginia###-##-####/p>