How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15610
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

This is tax question in state of CA. spousal support? how is

Customer Question

this is tax question in state of CA.
spousal support ? how is taxed by provider or receiver.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


Alimony or support is taxable to the individual that receives it and deductible by the one paying.

The law requires alimony payments to be reported as income by the recipient. The person who pays alimony may take a deduction for these payments. Alimony payments you make are deductible if all of the following requirements are met:

  • You pay in cash, checks or money orders.
  • The divorce or separation instrument does not say that the payment is NOT alimony.
  • You and your former spouse are not members of the same household when you make the payment.
  • You have no liability to make any payment after the death of your spouse or former spouse.
  • Your payment is not treated as child support.

Generally, alimony deductions appear on line 31 of the federal Form 1040.

Alimony and similar payments from your spouse or former spouse are taxable to you in the year received. Taxpayers report alimony income on the federal Form 1040, and this figure carries through to the California return.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Please advise if you need more information or rating in a positive way is acceptable.