Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

We took out 100,000 out of 401 to buy a house. no taxes

Customer Question
we took out 100,000 out...
we took out 100,000 out of 401 to buy a house. no taxes taken out. is it dollar for dollar if I wanted to donate a lot of money to say St. Jude instead of paying income tax on that amount of money
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
12/29/2015
Tax Professional: Anne, Master Tax Preparer replied 1 year ago
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer

Hi

I'm Anne. I've been preparing taxes for 27 years and I'll be happy to help you.

Although you get to write off the charitable deduction $ for $ on Schedule A ( https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f1040sa.pdf) up to 50% of your AGI, when you apply Schedule A to your AGI, what your TRUE benefit is is the tax $ amount you would have paid on that income had it not been donated.

So, for example, you are in the 28% tax bracket, and you donate $10,000 to charity, your actual savings in tax $ is 28% of the $10,000 or $2800

If you have further questions, please post them here and I'll be notified.

If this answer helps you, then please take the moment to rate positive (by clicking on the stars)

It is ONLY through positive ratings that we are compensated for our time and knowledge.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
do you think the least amount of money going out would be to pay the taxes on the withdrawal?

Absolutely.

In the example I gave you above, you would reduce your tax bill by $2800

I hope this helps

let me rephrase this

I don't think you'll be able to cover ALL of the taxes, but anything would help.

Did you buy the house?

I would like to continue our discussion......I had one question for you, which was, did you purchase the home? (I'm assuming not)

You asked:

so do you think the least amount of money going out would be to pay the taxes on the withdrawal?

I read this as : the least amount of money going out would HELP to pay the taxes on the withdrawal?

I think it would be difficult to meet your total tax liability, but I think there are some ways to help lessen the $ amount you owe.

If you would like to reconnect with me and explore your options, just respond to this posting and I'll be notified.

Thank you for choosing justanswer.

Anne
Anne
Anne, Master Tax Preparer