How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15732
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Being in sales, I generate a considerate amount of my income

Customer Question

Being in sales, I generate a considerate amount of my income on commission sales. My market territory is South America and Europe. I spent well over 33% of 2015 abroad working on some deals (but my family and I reside in Florida).
Is there any special tax treatment that I need to consider when I file my 2015 taxes due to how much time I spent outside of the US, and the fact that the income was generated due to business abroad?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


To be able to exclude any of your income earned abroad you must meet certain requirements.

You need to be able to show that you are physically present in a foreign country or countries for at least 330 full days during any period of 12 consecutive months.

If you are traveling back and forth and spend on 1/3 of your time in other countries you will not be able to meet this requirement.

Considering the time you stated you would not be taxed in the other countries which, while a good thing it also means no Foreign Tax credit to claim either.

Unfortunately, other than keeping track of your expenses (which you can use regardless of being in or out of the US, your earnings abroad will not be eligible for exclusion form US tax.

I sincerely ***** ***** could advise differently.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Please advise if you need more information or rating in a positive way is acceptable.