How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15732
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a Foreign Corporation which hold stocks in the US. I

Customer Question

I have a Foreign Corporation which hold stocks in the US. I made an election to treat this qualified entity as an partnership for US tax purposes. I will become a us green card holder in January 15th, 2016. How do I report these investment held in the Foreign entity to get the advantage of the step up basis. In other words, do I have to do anything?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


The step up in basis is reversed. In other words, it is not for when you become a resident alien but when a resident alien becomes a non resident. The exception is for people who are “covered expatriates” and give up their green cards or citizenship.

You will be taxed on your worldwide income when you are a green card holder but the holdings and your basis does not change.

Your Foreign Corporation will remain a foreign corp. Your filing requirements for Form 5471 relate to persons who have a certain level of control in certain foreign corporations.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

After you view my response, please post if you need more information or if you need no further clarification a positive rating is appreciated.
I know rating takes an additional step and I truly appreciate it when you take the extra time!