Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am filing my 2011 taxes, I didn't get a w2, the IRS

Customer Question
already told me this, I...
I am filing my 2011 taxes, I didn't get a w2, the IRS already told me this, I have some other paper work from UBS, mostly IRA stuff....Do I have to have a W2 to file
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
12/28/2015
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

...

No, you do not have to have a W-2 to file ... IRS as it sounds like you already know will say you are required to report all income whether your employer we remiss in sending (or you lost the W-2) or not.

...

What you can do to see what your employer may have reported, is get a wage and income transcript by going online here

...

https://www.irs.gov/Individuals/Get-Transcript

And if you're saying that you didn't have wages at all, (so no W-2 for THAT reason) the yes you'd still need to report the other income.

...

Now, if you were below the filing threshold (the standard deduction and personal exemption that everyone gets), you may NOT have to file, as you wouldn't have had enough income to be taxable.

...

But even then there can still be reasons to file (getting any withholding back for example ... If there were taxes withheld but, say, your total income wasn't enough to be taxable ... Filing would be the only way to get that refund ...However in THIS situation, you'd be past the 3 year statute of limitations for filing for a refund.

...

(As you can see, there are different scenarios that can affect the answer here) But generally you RECEIVING a W-2 won't be the ONLY factor.

...

Let me know if you have questions

...

Lane

..

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS