Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can I get a renters rebate even if I am married now? i pay

Customer Question
half the rent every month...
Can I get a renters rebate even if I am married now? i pay half the rent every month with my own check,
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
12/26/2015
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 2 years ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

There are a few states that have a renter's rebate. Please advise which state you are asking about. Your state does not show in the post.

missouri

Hello

The actual credit is based on the amount of real estate taxes or rent paid and total household income (taxable and nontaxable).

If married you have to combine both incomes. The income for both spouses must be included as household income.

If you did not live together for the entire year, you may file separate claims but the income limit is $27,500 for each spouse.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4