How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29569
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

How do I change a social security number and name on an

Customer Question

How do I change a social security number and name on an existing EIN for the same business?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Business owners and other authorized individuals can submit a name change for their business. The specific action required may vary depending on the type of business. If the EIN was recently assigned and filing liability has yet to be determined, send Business Name Change requests to IRS-Stop 343G, Cincinnati, OH 45999.

In some situations a name change may require a new Employer Identification Number (EIN) or a final return. See Publication 1635, Understanding Your EIN, to make this determination.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
it is not a name change, it is changing the SSN and name assigned to the EIN - the name of the business is staying the same. Just need to put it under my SSN and Name. Does that make sense?
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

If the business is transferred to another person - EIN used by another person may bot be transferred.
You would need to apply for another EIN.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I just bought out my partners share and he had put the business EIN under his name. I was told by several people that it could be changed and the IRS prefers that, but no one told me how to do it...
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

If the EIN was assigned to the partnership with two members - and you bought out your partners share - means - there is no partnership anymore....
You would need to file a final tax return for the partnership and EIN will be closed.
AS a solo proprietor - you would need to apply for a new EIN
You may not transfer the partnership EIN to you personally.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Please see here

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.


You will be required to obtain a new EIN if any of the following statements are true.

--- Your partnership is taken over by one of the partners and is operated as a sole proprietorship.

So far based on your information - a new EIN will be needed.

Let me know if you need any clarification.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.