Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

How do I change a social security number and name on an

Customer Question
existing EIN for the same...
How do I change a social security number and name on an existing EIN for the same business?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
12/24/2015
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Business owners and other authorized individuals can submit a name change for their business. The specific action required may vary depending on the type of business. If the EIN was recently assigned and filing liability has yet to be determined, send Business Name Change requests to IRS-Stop 343G, Cincinnati, OH 45999.

In some situations a name change may require a new Employer Identification Number (EIN) or a final return. See Publication 1635, Understanding Your EIN, to make this determination.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
it is not a name change, it is changing the SSN and name assigned to the EIN - the name of the business is staying the same. Just need to put it under my SSN and Name. Does that make sense?

If the business is transferred to another person - EIN used by another person may bot be transferred.
You would need to apply for another EIN.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
I just bought out my partners share and he had put the business EIN under his name. I was told by several people that it could be changed and the IRS prefers that, but no one told me how to do it...

If the EIN was assigned to the partnership with two members - and you bought out your partners share - means - there is no partnership anymore....
You would need to file a final tax return for the partnership and EIN will be closed.
AS a solo proprietor - you would need to apply for a new EIN
You may not transfer the partnership EIN to you personally.

Please see here

https://www.irs.gov/Businesses/Small-Businesses-&-Self-Employed/Do-You-Need-a-New-EIN

Partnerships

You will be required to obtain a new EIN if any of the following statements are true.

--- Your partnership is taken over by one of the partners and is operated as a sole proprietorship.

So far based on your information - a new EIN will be needed.

Let me know if you need any clarification.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor