How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15731
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Currently, my husband and I have $13,000 per year in daycare

Customer Question

Currently, my husband and I have $13,000 per year in daycare expenses for our 2 children who are 2 and 7. In the past we have qualified for a tax credit on our tax return of $1,200. My employer is now instituting a 125 plan and I'm told that I can take a reduction in pay and have up to $5,000 recharacterized as pre-tax funds.
My question is, if I participate in the plan (for the full $5,000), can I utilize the remaining $8,000 on my tax return which will enable me to receive the same $1,200 tax credit that I was previously receiving?
This has the appearance of more than doubling my tax savings, or am I missing something?
Our income (line 22) for 2014 was $100,097 and our AGI (line 37) was $99,916. Our income is split almost 50/50.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


For the tax break in using 125 Child Care, you are allowed to consider $3,000 of your expenses for one child or $6,000 for two or more children. There is a flat limit of $5,000 for the Section 125 Plan. If you have two children, and $6,000 of expenses or more, you can elect $5,000 in the Section 125 Plan, and still claim $1,000 on your tax .

You will not receive the same amount for credit because you are not going to be claiming the total for childcare as paid BUT having the $5000 come out before you are taxed on wages will save you on income tax, SS, and Medicare.

You could save more in tax withholding under the 125 than you were getting in Childcare credit.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Now that you have had time to view, please advise if you need more information or rating in a positive way is acceptable.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Susanna, please let me know what other information you require.