How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29778
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

If I sell securities I own between now and the end of the

Customer Question

If I sell securities I own between now and the end of the year, I can realize about 50K in gain. Can this gain be offset against: 1. Charitable contributions? and 2. Scedule C losses? I am not sure if the gains are long term or short term but can find out. Thanks

Please just email your answer or any questions you have of me.

Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to our site!
In short - the answer is YES to both questions.
Charitable contributions are deducted as part of itemized deduction. So - if you itemize (means - your total itemize deduction is more than the standard deduction) - charitable contribution may be used to reduce your taxable income.

Schedule C losses are business losses - and if you actively participated in that business activity - business loss is fully deductible against other taxable income including capital gains.

For these purposes - it doesn't matter if the gains are long term or short term.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.