How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15716
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I would like to get an answer to the following. I am a US

Customer Question

I would like to get an answer to the following. I am a US citizen, but over the last year I have spent about 180 days, if not more, travelling to and from St. Kitts. At times, I was on the island, at a hotel, for periods of 4 weeks, but most of the time I was away from the US 2 - 3 weeks at a time. Can I take advantage of any of the tax exempt status for 2015. The same will happen in 2016.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


A U.S. citizen or a U.S. resident alien who is physically present in a foreign country or countries for at least 330 full days during any period of 12 consecutive months can exclude their foreign earned income (up to a limit).

You can count days you spent abroad for any reason. You do not have to be in a foreign country only for employment purposes. You can be on vacation time.

There are four rules you should know when figuring the 12-month period:

  • Your 12-month period can begin with any day of the month. It ends the day before the same calendar day, 12 months later
  • Your 12-month period must be made up of consecutive months. Any 12-month period can be used if the 330 days in a foreign country fall within that period
  • You do not have to begin your 12-month period with your first full day in a foreign country or to end it with the day you leave. You can choose the 12-month period that gives you the greatest exclusion
  • In determining whether the 12-month period falls within a longer stay in the foreign country, 12-month periods can overlap one another

If you expect to meet the time period in the next tax year then you can prorate your 2015 exclusion base don the actual days in 2015 that you were in another country.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
What do I need to show as proof of residence?
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Your passport records would be enough (if you were asked by the IRS to substantiate your being in another country).

You send only the form 2555 with your return though.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


Here is a link to the form

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.

When you actively click on a rating and click submit, that lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for the time.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Please advise if you need more information or rating in a positive way is acceptable.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

What other information do you require Les?