How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Jonathan Tierney Your Own Question
Jonathan Tierney
Jonathan Tierney, Certified Public Accountant (CPA)
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 322
Experience:  Tax Accountant at Praxair, Inc.
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Jonathan Tierney is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I am a Military retiree. I have a military related

Customer Question

I am a Military retiree. I have a military related disability (10% for hearing) this 10% is provided by the VA. and is subtracted from what is paid as a retiree pension from the Defense Finance Accounting System (DFAS) Should this VA payment be considered/listed as Non-Taxable on my 1040?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Jonathan Tierney replied 1 year ago.

Hi, my name is ***** ***** I can help.

Disability payments from the Veterans' Administration are tax-exempt and should not be included as income on your Form 1040 (they do not need to be reported anywhere on the form). See this page on the IRS website. The DFAS should provide you with a 1099-R that should report all your taxable benefits and any withholding.

I hope this answers your questions. Please let me know if I can clarify anything or answer any additional questions.

Thanks, Jonathan