Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can the IRS attach my social security if it is my only

Customer Question
source of income....
Can the IRS attach my social security if it is my only source of income.
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
12/19/2015
Tax Professional: Richard, Tax Attorney replied 1 year ago
Richard, Tax Attorney

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I look forward to helping you.

Can you tell me a bit more about your situation with the IRS? How much do you owe them? What other assets do you have? Thanks.

Customer reply replied 1 year ago
My friend owes them 89,000 for not filing his taxes for 5 years. He has no other assets and basically lives on Social Security.
Customer reply replied 1 year ago
can you please answer my question.

Thanks so much for following up. Although the IRS does have the right to attach SS income, in this situation they are not likely to do so. What your friend should do with nothing but SS income and no other assets is resolve this tax debt with the IRS through the Offer in Compromise program. Given his situation, it's likely she could get most if not all of this tax debt forgiven. There is a step by step process for filing the Offer in Compromise application, as well as the full details of the program, in the IRS Offer in Compromise booklet which you can find at the following website: www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/f656b.pdf .

Thank you so much for allowing me to help you with your questions. I have done my best to provide information which fully addresses your question. If you have any follow up questions, please ask! If I have fully answered your question(s) to your satisfaction, I would appreciate you rating my service as OK, Good or Excellent (hopefully Good or Excellent). I thank you in advance for taking the time to provide me a positive rating!

Richard, Tax Attorney