Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My father died in 2013 one of s stocks suddenly showed up

Customer Question
my father died in 2013...
my father died in 2013 one of his stocks suddenly showed up with a dividend that we didnt know about the estate is closed what do i do about the dividend it is $50.00 it has his ss on it
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
12/18/2015
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

...

Was the stock itself re-titled? .. ... If that's the case, then you should have the brokerage firm re-issue with the correct social security number

...

I'm guessing, however, that maybe this stock didn't actually have the ownership change form done?

...

let me know, and we can go from there

Also, just to be on the same page what exactly do you mean by "closed?" Has an order been entered discharging the administrator/executor?

...

If not, the estate may still be open so that you can still deposit the checks in an (reopened?) estate bank account.

...

Also, look at the final order for distribution. Many times the attorney for the administrator has a provision to the effect that any unknown assets discovered after the date of the order is to be distributed to the beneficiaries without further order of court.

...

Did you see my request for more info?

...

Was the stock itself never re-tited (changed ownership)?

...

If you'll le me know I can give you specific next steps

...

I'll be here

..

Lane

.

OK I still don't see you coming into the chat here so I'll try to provide some general information

As I mentioned before, if the asset, the stock, was probated (went through the probate process and and ownership change was done to give the ownership to the beneficiary, then the brokerage firm (or the company itself, if this is private stock) has made a mistake and you can simply ask for a new 1099-Div. And make sure that they have the correct owner's social security number on file.

But if this is essentially a newly discovered asset Section 3-1008of the Uniform Probate Code permits any interested person to file a petition with the probate court to reopen the estate.

Now, not all states have adopted this. Some states won't re-open probate. For example in Nevada, newly found assets require that a second probate estate be opened. (Although there is a set aside - a simplified process - if the asset is worth less than 100,000.)

Bot***** *****ne here is that you need to ask the company (if this isprivate stock) or the brokerage firm is this is public stock what they need to get the asset's ownership changed to the beneficiary.

Hope this helps … And again, please let me know if you haveany questions at all.

If this HAS helped, (and you don't have any other questions onthis), I'd really appreciate a positive rating(using those stars on your screen) … That's the only way I'll be credited with a portion of what you've paid JustAnswer.com

...

Thank you,

Lane

.

Also, if you'd like I can make what's called an additional services offer, where we can exchange contact information in an encrypted box (to protect anonymity on the site).

...

Once you accept, I'll enter the office phone number and we can discuss this more thoroughly and confidentially.

...

Only accept the offer if you like to discuss

I'm just checking back in to see how everything's going.

Did my answer help?

Let me know...

Lane

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS