Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent
Experience:  18+ years of experience in tax preparation; 25+ years of experience as a real estate/corporate paralegal.
71603090

Under what circumstances will the irs abate or refund

Customer Question

Under what circumstances will the irs abate or refund penalties and interest on late payment to the irs? And, how does the taxpayer apply for such abatements or refunds? The taxpayer has already paid the penalty and interest.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to assist you.

Form 843 is used for Claim for Refund and Request for Abatement for "reasonable cause" or other reason allowed under the law can be shown.

The following link contains Form 843 and its instructions.

https://www.irs.gov/uac/Form-843,-Claim-for-Refund-and-Request-for-Abatement

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I need to know if the IRS will ever abate or refund penalties or interest on late payments to the IRS?

Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

The IRS most certainly abates/refunds penalties and/or interest.

Expert:  Barbara replied 1 year ago.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you and alerts Just Answer to compensate me for a portion of the fee you previously paid.

Best regards,

Barb