Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

My wife is a NRA and I am a US citizen. She is transferring

Customer Question
Customer: Hi, my wife...
Customer: Hi, my wife is a NRA and I am a US citizen. She is transferring 27,000 usd to the US as she is moving to the US next week. She doesn't have an account in the US at this time so she is transferring to my account. She will be a permanent residence after two weeks of arriving in the US and I will add her name to the bank account then. Is the 27,000 taxable.
JA: Thanks. Can you give me any more details about your issue?
Customer: what else do you need?
JA: OK got it. Last thing — JustAnswer charges a fee (generally around $32) to post your type of question to Tax Experts (you only pay if satisfied). There are a couple customers ahead of you. Are you willing to wait a bit?
Customer: It depends on the qualification of the "tax expert"
JA: OK. Now I'm going to take you to a page to place a secure deposit with JustAnswer. Don't worry, this chat is saved. After that, we will finish helping you.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
12/16/2015
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

...

I hold a JD (Juris Doctorate, a doctoral degree in the law), concentration in Tax Law & Corporate law, an MBA (specialization in finance & tax), and BBA from Mercer University's Stetson School of Business and Economics, as well as CFP and CRPS designations.

I have been providing tax advice and planning for Non-resident and resident aliens (along with other international issues) for 30 years. I can help here

...

This money is not taxable ... nor is it above the $100,000 threshold where you would need to disclose (using IRS form 3520) for money laundering, and other money tracking purposes.

...

This could be characterized in two different ways:

...

(1) a gift (under US Law a gift is something given without the expectation of anything in exchange) ... gifts are specifically excluded from income for tax purposes (IRC §102).

(2) Because you will be essentially giving the money (or half of it, because you are adding her to the account) back to her, one might characterize as a loan (also not taxable, because this is not income, a loan must be repaid)

...

The reality here is that we see these kinds of transfers ALL the time, this is relatively small in the scheme of things and is never taxable ... and only reportable if in excess of $100,000 within a tax year.

...

Hope this helps ... Let me know if you have questions

...

If this HAS helped, (and you don't have any other questions on this), I'd really appreciate a positive rating (using those stars on your screen) … That's the only way I'll be credited with a portion of what you've paid JustAnswer.com

...

Thank you,

Lane

.

...

Just checking back in.

...

Did you see my answer?

...

If you need more here let me know

...

But if this has given you enough, I'd appreciate a positive rating (using those stars on your screen) so that I can be credited for the work here.

...

Thanks,

Lane

..

Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago

Did you see my answer?

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS