Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Why do we have to fill out a 6166 form - certification of us

Customer Question
tax residency....
why do we have to fill out a 6166 form - certification of us tax residency.
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
12/15/2015
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 2 years ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Many U.S. treaty partners require the IRS to certify that the person claiming treaty benefits is a resident of the United States for federal tax purposes. The IRS provides this residency certification on Form 6166, a letter of U.S. residency certification.

Form 6166 may also be used as a proof of U.S. tax residency status for purposes of obtaining an exemption from a VAT imposed by a foreign country. In connection with a VAT request the United States can certify only to certain matters in relation to your U.S. federal income tax status and not that you meet any other requirements for a VAT exemption in a foreign country.

The Internal Revenue Service (IRS) procedure for requesting a certificate of residency (Form 6166) from the Philadelphia Accounts Management Center is the submission of Form 8802, Application for United States Residency Certification . Use of the Form 8802 is mandatory.

Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney