How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15180
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I live in Maryland. In 2012 a professional tax preparation

Customer Question

I live in Maryland. In 2012 a professional tax preparation company did my taxes and made an error which has been found and I have been billed for $ 2100.00 in unpaid tax plus $ 700.00 in interest. Would the accounting company be liable for the interest?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


Tax companies have a responsibility to prepare your tax return accurately and if their preparer made a mistake they will generally request the IRS or state "abate" the penalties then reimburse the client for the interest.
Some companies even have offers to pay the additional taxes if you sign up for a special offer.

They are not required to do this but reputable large companies will pay the interest by reimbursement.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

You should push for a payment by asking to speak to the next higher up in charge until you receive what you feel is fair.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.

Related Tax Questions