How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Wallstreet Esq. Your Own Question
Wallstreet Esq.
Wallstreet Esq., Tax Attorney
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 585
Experience:  10 years experience
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Wallstreet Esq. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I lost my job in June, 2015 due to a national field office

Customer Question

I lost my job in June, 2015 due to a national field office closure. I work in an executive office center and have paid monthly private rent since October, 2015 under a lease to maintain my office while I look for work. The office is used exclusively for my job search. Its standard practice in my industry to have a dedicated corporate office rather than working out of my home. Would my monthly rent be considered a job search expense subject to the 2% AGI threshold?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Angie replied 1 year ago.

Unless you are self employed and file a schedule C, then yes, this would be a job search expense which would be subject to the 2%. If you file a schedule C on your tax return, this amount can be deducted as rent on this schedule. However, if you receive a form W-2 from your employer(s) and are not considered an independent contractor or self employed, this would fall under the job search expenses...if the rent is something your employer normally pays for you. If not, during the time of the year that you were employed, the amount you paid for rent would be considered an "unreimbursed employee expense" and still subject to the 2% but not included in the job search expense miscellaneous deduction.