How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29569
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

My boyfriend's only income is social security disability. We

Customer Question

my boyfriend's only income is social security disability. We have lived together for 3 years and I pay essentially all the cost... Can I claim him as a dependent?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Yes - your boyfriend may be your dependent on the tax return.
But there are certain tests to be satisfied.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

For qualifications - see page 12 - let me know if you need further help with determination.

Tests To Be a Qualifying Relative

1.The person cannot be your qualifying child or the qualifying child of any other taxpayer.

2.The person either (a) must be related to you in one of the ways listed under Relatives who do not have to live with you, or (b) must live with you all year as a member of your household (and your relationship must not violate local law).

3.The person s gross income for the year must be less than $3,950. ($4000 for 2015)

4.You must provide more than half of the person s total support for the year.So far - as all these tests are met you may claim her as a dependent.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Regarding #3 - if your boyfriend has ONLY income from social security benefits - none of these benefits are taxable and none included into gross income - his gross income woudl be zero for tax purposes - so that test is satisfied.
So - you would need to verify other tests - and I do not see any issues if you claim your boyfriend as a dependent.
Any questions?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
the gross income. does that include the social security disability? he gets 1100 a month but no taxable income
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Correct - gross income is a term used on the tax return.

Social security benefits might be partly taxable (including disability benefits)
On form 1040 - social security benefits are reported on line 20a and taxable portion - on line 20b.

you may take a look on the form

ONLY taxable portion from line 20b is included into gross income for tax purposes.

However - if his ONLY income is from social security benefits - NONE will be taxable and zero will be reported on line 20b.

So that fact would not prevent you from claiming him as a dependent.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.