Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

We got a letter today that states we owe $1263.39 on our

Customer Question
2014 taxes. When we...
We got a letter today that states we owe $1263.39 on our 2014 taxes. When we filed on October 15, 2015, we sent a check for $2199 that was due. The check cleared on October 22, 2015. On the statement received today, that payment has not be credited to our account. When contacting the IRS by phone, the lines will be tied up and we were asked to call tomorrow. Help!
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
12/10/2015
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 2 years ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

The notice was most likely generated before the check cleared your bank, most likely few days before. Does the notice offer any explanation about the changes made to your return? There's a discrepancy between what you paid and what IRS claims you owe.

If your check cleared the bank and it is for more than IRS claims you owe, than you will be all right. It can take couple or three weeks before the payment is posted to your account after it cleared your bank. It is not unusual if you mailed a check to IRS.

The best time to contact IRS is before 9am other than Monday or Tuesday. An average waiting time is about 30 - 45 minutes, depending on day and time.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. You find the rating bar on the top of the page – 5 stars. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.

emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser