Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

We just received a letter #2797 from the IRS asking to

Customer Question
confirm our address. there...
We just received a letter #2797 from the IRS asking to confirm our address. there is also BOD Code: WI and CP: 501. what does this means?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
12/10/2015
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

This letter is generated and mailed to all potential taxpayer addresses, asking the taxpayer to confirm the address and sign and return the letter.

The IRS maintains a research tool, the Address Research (ADR) system, to attempt to perfect or locate a “good” or “better” address.

24 notices are processed through the ADR system when mail is returned. Most of these are collection-related notices such as balance due, return delinquency, intent to levy, or installment agreement default notices.

The IRS is seeking to update their file on your specific mailing address.

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.

Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 1 year ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Welcome to Just Answer. My name is ***** ***** please allow me to provide information regarding your specific question that has thus far not been provided.

The Letter 2797 is a basic request that is sent by the IRS to a taxpayer to obtain updated information--such as to verify the accuracy of your address. The CP designation refers to Code Paragraph, and in the case of CP 501, it indicates that you have a balance due to the IRS. BOD stands for Business Operating Division and Code WI is for Wage and Investment. The letter you received appears to be notifying you of a balance due as well as trying to verify the accuracy of the address the IRS has on file for you.

The letter itself should explain why the IRS is contacting you and the information they need.

Please let me know if I can assist you further.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent