How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29966
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Is there a tax on foreign currency if so what is it

Customer Question

is there a tax on foreign currency if so what is it
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Here is the later notice related to virtual currencies - but same principles are applied to all currencies

This note contains references to corresponding statute and regulations related to currency transactions.

Actually a foreign currency is treated as a separate asset - so when you convert US dollars into a foreign currency - that transaction is treated as if you purchase that asset and establish your basis.

So - when you convert a foreign currency back to USD - that is treated as selling an asset - and based on assumed selling price - you woudl have either capital gain or loss.Again - that applied to investment transactions - not personal transactions. For personal transactions - loss is not deductible; the gain up to $200 is not reported and larger gain is reported as short term capital gain.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate if you take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.