Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Can I give my daughter 174,500 to buy a house with no tax

Customer Question
implications to either of us...
Can I give my daughter 174,500 to buy a house with no tax implications to either of us
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
12/9/2015
Tax Professional: Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4 replied 1 year ago
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4

Hello

You can give your daughter that amount and she would not have to report or pay any tax on the gift.

You would have to report a gift of that amount (it is over the annual amount $14,000) on form 709 BUT

tax would not apply as long as you have not used up your lifetime amount for gifts ($5.43 million).

You have to report it because the amount over $14000 reduces your ESTATE allowance. So when you pass your estate has less to claim for tax exclusion but you would not pay tax on the gift.

Please post below if you need clarification because Gift Tax reporting can be confusing.

Of course if my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), but if you need more information reply below.

Rating lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for my time.

If you require specific information about the form 709 let me know.

Hello Mike

Checking back to see if you wanted specific information about that form 709.

Please post below.

Robin D.
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4