How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29919
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have a judgement against an individual who lives in New

Customer Question

I have a judgement against an individual who lives in New Jersey but works in Pennsylvania. I want to either garnish her wages or federal and state income tax return. How can I collect my judgement?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Nether federal nor state income tax refund may NOT be garnished to satisfy a judgement.
Such garnishment is very limited and allowed ONLY for very limited reasons.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

To garnish wages in Pennsylvania - you would need to have a judgement in Pennsylvania - most likely - you will need to hire a collection service in this state - but all additional expenses could be added to the judgement.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

The Department of Treasury's Bureau of the Fiscal Service (BFS) issues IRS tax refunds and Congress authorizes BFS to conduct the Treasury Offset Program (TOP). Through the TOP program, BFS may reduce your refund (overpayment) and offset it to pay:
•Past-due child and parent support;
•Federal agency non-tax debts;
•State income tax obligations; or
•Certain unemployment compensation debts owed to a state. (Generally, these are debts for (1) compensation paid due to fraud, or (2) contributions owing to a state fund that were not paid due to fraud).
All other types of debt may not be used to offset the tax refund.