Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I received a form from the IRS stating, my 2013 tax form

Customer Question
incorrect. I found out why...
I received a form from the IRS stating, my 2013 tax form incorrect. I found out why and just wanted the best way to rectify situation so I don't accrue any further penalties. My employer deposited a sum of money into my HSA and info was put on a 1099-misc form. My accountant now said it should have gone on my W-2 that year. I hope this makes sense. Also, I wanted to give you guys permission to talk to my accountant on my behalf. Thank you for taking time to help sort this out. Lynn Reed ***@******.*** is you need an email address. Sincerely Lynn
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
12/9/2015
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 1 year ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi, Lynn.

Yes, the accountant is correct, the contribution should have had been reported on your w2. If the employer refuses to issue you corrected w2, here's what you need to do. You will report the income on line 21 as other income (assuming the income is reported in box 3 on your 1099Misc, NOT box 7). Than you deduct it on line 25. You will also have to include form 8889 if you didn't include it with your original return. This will satisfy the reporting and the IRS bureaucrats. Because this will not change your Adjusted gross income, there will be no additional tax liability and you should need to amend your state return.

Respond to the notices by checking the appropriate boxes stating that you do not agree with the change, attach the amended return and 8889 if needed and write CP2000 (or the type of the letter you received, usually start with CP####) on the top of the amended return. Make sure you sign the amended return but do NOT sign the notice if you do not agree with the proposed changes.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today? And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.

emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser