How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask emc011075 Your Own Question
emc011075, Tax adviser
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 2995
Experience:  IRS licensed Enrolled Agent and tax instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
emc011075 is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I received a form from the IRS stating, my 2013 tax form

Customer Question

I received a form from the IRS stating, my 2013 tax form incorrect. I found out why and just wanted the best way to rectify situation so I don't accrue any further penalties. My employer deposited a sum of money into my HSA and info was put on a 1099-misc form. My accountant now said it should have gone on my W-2 that year. I hope this makes sense. Also, I wanted to give you guys permission to talk to my accountant on my behalf. Thank you for taking time to help sort this out. Lynn Reed ***@******.*** is you need an email address. Sincerely Lynn
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Hi, Lynn.

Yes, the accountant is correct, the contribution should have had been reported on your w2. If the employer refuses to issue you corrected w2, here's what you need to do. You will report the income on line 21 as other income (assuming the income is reported in box 3 on your 1099Misc, NOT box 7). Than you deduct it on line 25. You will also have to include form 8889 if you didn't include it with your original return. This will satisfy the reporting and the IRS bureaucrats. Because this will not change your Adjusted gross income, there will be no additional tax liability and you should need to amend your state return.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

Respond to the notices by checking the appropriate boxes stating that you do not agree with the change, attach the amended return and 8889 if needed and write CP2000 (or the type of the letter you received, usually start with CP####) on the top of the amended return. Make sure you sign the amended return but do NOT sign the notice if you do not agree with the proposed changes.

Expert:  emc011075 replied 1 year ago.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today? And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.