How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Robin D. Your Own Question
Robin D.
Robin D., Senior Tax Advisor 4
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 15590
Experience:  15years with H & R Block. Divisional leader, Instructor
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Robin D. is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Would like to know what would be tax implication on both me

Customer Question

Would like to know what would be tax implication on both me and my friend -
An ex Employer of my friend owes $43k to my friend. His Employer says he can pay as bonus which will be highly taxable.
I have S corp and my friend wanted if I can help in this transaction. His ex employer can pay lumpsum to me or in 2 installments. I would like to know how I could help out my friend with the least tax or workarounds. My friend does not work for me. Question is how should I handle this transaction if possible. Please advise.
Thank you
Vikram R
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.


In truth you should not get involved at all.

Your friend does not work for you and you have not mentioned any connection to the ex employer that would require them paying your S corporation.

What you are being asked to do is "funnel" the money to your friend so neither the employer nor your friend would have to deal with tax being withheld.

It would still be taxable to your friend. Even if you agreed to do this and accept the payment then pass it along as a payment to your friend that does not avoid tax for anyone but the employer.

Your friend would have to pay all the FICA tax if they claimed this was a payment from your S corp to them as a non employee.

Do not get involved with their scheme to defraud (sadly that is what this would be even if your friend does not realize it).

If my answer addressed your question please rate below or above (let me know if you have difficulty as I believe the system changed), if you need more information reply below.

Rating lets Just Answer know you were assisted and credits me for my time.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

Please advise if you need more information or rating in a positive way is acceptable.

Expert:  Robin D. replied 1 year ago.

You can post below additional questions you may have.