Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Would the IRS call to tell you are being sued by they?

Customer Question
would the IRS call to tell you are being sued by they?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
Answered in 1 minute by:
12/4/2015
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 1 year ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

...

I hold J.D. (Duris Doctorate -a Doctoral degree in the law), MBA (Finance & Tax specialization), a BBA from Mercer University's Stetson School of Business & Economics, as well as CFP and CRPS (Chartered Retirement Plans Specialist) designations

I can help here

...

No ... absolutely not

...

IRS does not call taxpayers by phone

...

You are deal with a scam artist

See this: https://www.irs.gov/uac/Newsroom/IRS-Repeats-Warning-about-Phone-Scams

...

IRS Repeats Warning about Phone Scams

Español

IR-2014-81, Aug. 13, 2014

WASHINGTON — The Internal Revenue Service and the Treasury Inspector General for Tax Administration continue to hear from taxpayers who have received unsolicited calls from individuals demanding payment while fraudulently claiming to be from the IRS.

Based on the 90,000 complaints that TIGTA has received through its telephone hotline, to date, TIGTA has identified approximately 1,100 victims who have lost an estimated $5 million from these scams.

...

"There are clear warning signs about these scams, which continue at high levels throughout the nation,” said IRS Commissioner John Koskinen. Taxpayers should remember their first contact with the IRS will not be a call from out of the blue, but through official correspondence sent through the mail. A big red flag for these scams are angry, threatening calls from people who say they are from the IRS and urging immediate payment. This is not how we operate. People should hang up immediately and contact TIGTA or the IRS.”

If you get a phone call from someone claiming to be from the IRS,...

• call and report the incident to TIGTA at 1.***-***-****.
  • You can file a complaint using the FTC Complaint Assistant; choose “Other” and then “Imposter Scams.” If the complaint involves someone impersonating the IRS, include the words “IRS Telephone Scam” in the notes.

Hope this helps

...

Let me know if you have questions

...

...

If this HAS helped, and you If you don't have additional questions on this, I'd appreciate a positive rating (by clicking the stars on your screen) ... that's the only way I'll be credited with a portion of what you've paid JustAnswer.
...

Lane

.

...

I'm just checking back in to see if you saw my answer.

...

Let me know if this helped.

...

Let me know if you need more here too.

...

If you don't have any other questions on this, I'd really appreciate a positive rating (using those stars on your screen) … That's the only way I'll be credited with a portion of what you've paid JustAnswer.com

...

Thank you,

Lane

.

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS