How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site. Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29919
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

Past 6 years, I know someone who has not filed their yearly

Customer Question

For the past 6 years, I know someone who has not filed their yearly tax returns. In the years prior to that, they were always filed on time and always received a return, never owing. I want to help this person get back on track but they are scared that the moment we start looking up info to get w-2's and other needed paperwork, the I RS will be on their back door. How can we start so we have some safe time to prepare? Thank you.
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Hi and welcome to our site!
The first step I suggest - to start with the most recent tax year and prepare the tax return.
Most likely - there were some withholding from wages - and if there would be any tax liability - it would likely be minimal if any.
If W2 and other reporting forms may not be located - that person would need to request the tax account transcript from the IRS which have all that information.

After that - we may move backward to past years and clear all things.

If you have any information about that person's income - I could help to estimate the tax liability - so you will approach that person with some solid information.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate if take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.