Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

If I paid a $5000+ property tax bill ill relative in another

Customer Question
If I paid a $5000+...
If I paid a $5000+ property tax bill for an ill relative in another state, can I take this as a tax deduction?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
12/1/2015
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 2 years ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

To deduct property tax on your tax return you have to own the property for which you pay the property tax. If you don't own the property, you cannot take the deduction.

Sorry if this is not the answer you were hoping for.

From the IRS instruction for Schedule A., page 6:

"Include taxes (state, local, or foreign) you paid on real estate you own that was not used for business, but only if the taxes are assessed uniformly at a like rate on all real property throughout the community, and the proceeds are used for general community or governmental purposes"

Any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

I see you offline now. So if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.

emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser