How JustAnswer Works:
  • Ask an Expert
    Experts are full of valuable knowledge and are ready to help with any question. Credentials confirmed by a Fortune 500 verification firm.
  • Get a Professional Answer
    Via email, text message, or notification as you wait on our site.
    Ask follow up questions if you need to.
  • 100% Satisfaction Guarantee
    Rate the answer you receive.
Ask Lev Your Own Question
Lev, Tax Advisor
Category: Tax
Satisfied Customers: 29770
Experience:  Taxes, Immigration, Labor Relations
Type Your Tax Question Here...
Lev is online now
A new question is answered every 9 seconds

I have exceeded the amount this year and some of my income

Customer Question

I have exceeded the amount for SS this year and some of my income is commission based. Does it seem unreasonable to ask my company allow me to pay a commission check early so I don't have to pay SS against it?
Submitted: 1 year ago.
Category: Tax
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

"exceeded the amount for SS" - does that mean you are receiving social security benefits and you are below your full retirement age?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
sorry meant exceeded the income amount for social security withholdings
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Appreciate your clarification.

Then I am not clear what is the meaning of "allow me to pay a commission check early" - ?

Do you mean to receive income?
Earlier - means before Dec 31 - correct?
I just want to be sure I understand your intention...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I get a commission check every month. For example, on Dec 15, I receive one for October commissions. I have exceeded the amount for SS withholdings, so I would like to also request my Nov commissions to be paid in Dec so I don't have to pay SS tax on them in January.
Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

Ok - that is clear intention. If th epayer agrees - I see no issues.

However - additional income might push you into higher tax bracket and expected saving on social security tax might be reduced or eliminated.

Before asking for earlier payment - I subject to verify that.

Another issue is next year payments - if you expect total commissions to exceed the threshold for social security taxes again next year - you would not have overall saving...

These are some issues to consider.

But if you verify your benefits - then it would be very reasonable to ask the payer for some favor.

Expert:  Lev replied 1 year ago.

I appreciate if take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.