Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

W-9 Form

Customer Question
w-9 Form
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
11/27/2015
Tax Professional: Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS replied 2 years ago
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS

...

How can I help?

Here's the form itself, if that's what you needed...

...

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/fw9.pdf

I need to know how to pay someone off of the w-9
They are a S corp
The first line has person name
the other line has business name

The W-9 is the certification of social security number that you keep on file so that you can send the individual a 1099-MISC

...

Corporations, howerver, are not sent 1099's

...

See this from IRS

From the instructions for form 1099-MISC
...

"Exceptions. Some payments do not have to be reported on Form 1099-MISC, although they may be taxable to the recipient. Payments for which a Form 1099-MISC is not required include all of the following. Generally, payments to a corporation (including a limited liability company (LLC) that is treated as a C or S Corporation)."

(you'll see that on the right side of the first page here):

...

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i1099msc.pdf

Please let me know if you have any questions at all.

...

Lane

...

One last point ... There ARE a few times when you still send a 1099 to a corporation.

...

Reportable payments to corporations. The following payments made to corporations generally must be reported on Form 1099-MISC:

• Medical and health care payments reported in box 6.
  • Fish purchases for cash reported in box 7.
  • Attorneys' fees reported in box 7.
  • Gross proceeds paid to an attorney reported in box 14.
  • Substitute payments in lieu of dividends or tax-exempt interest reported in box 8.
  • Payments by a federal executive agency for services (vendors) reported in box 7.
I am sorry you have me completely confused. I need to know my payee is a S Corp. Then they do not need a 1099 misc. But do I pay them by the company name or by the person who owns the company

Company name

...

The S-Corp will then report the income on it's 1120-S and will the flow to the shareholder(s) based on ownership (via the 1120-S, K-1)

...

Works the same way, even if there's only one shareholder

...

You are paying the corporation, not the indvidual

Does that help?

...

(So sorry for any confusion, but you asked about a form W-9, and typically a payor does not get a W-9 from an S-Corp ... except for those exceptions I listed, such as where an attorney needs to be paid and is set up as an S-Corp.)

...

Please let me know your questions from here...

If you wish to get the W-9 and send a 1099 anyway (even though it's not required for S-Corps) you are not prohibited from doing so.

...

• Just enter the S-Corporation’s legal name on the first line of the W-9.
  • Input any trade name for the business on the “Business name/disregarded entity” line.
  • Mark the “S Corporation” box as the business’ federal tax classification.
  • Check the “exempt payee” box if the S-Corporation isn’t subject to tax withholding.
  • Provide the S-Corporation’s employer identification number in the “Taxpayer Identification Number” section. (You should never enter a shareholder’s or corporate officer’s Social Security number)
  • Have an officer or other authorized representative of the S-Corporation should sign the W-9

...

But again, for S-Corps this is not necessary ... unless the payments are attorney fees, cash paid for fish, or medical and healthcare-related fees

...

Thank you for the help
It makes sense now

That's great.

...

I'd really appreciate a positive rating (using those stars on your screen) … That's the only way I'll be credited anything for the work here.

...

Thank you,

Lane

.

.

Lane
Lane
Lane, JD, CFP, MBA, CRPS