Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

You have answered that money lost on romance scam is tax

Customer Question
deductible as casualty and theft...
You have answered that money lost on romance scam is tax deductible as casualty and theft loss. My question is can you add IRA early withdraw penalty and additional tax on the loss also?
Submitted: 1 year ago.Category: Tax
11/25/2015
Tax Professional: Lev, Tax Advisor replied 1 year ago
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor

Unfortunately - that would not be correct interpretation.
IRA distribution may not be classified as a theft.
A theft is the taking and removal of money or property with the intent to deprive the owner of it. The taking must be illegal under the law of the state where it occurred and must have been done with criminal intent.
IRA distribution is not illegal and there is no criminal intent here.
However - the victim may partially offset taxable income from IRA distribution by claiming the theft loss.

I appreciate if take a moment to rate the answer.

Experts are ONLY credited when answers are rated positively.

If you still have any doubts, need clarification - please be sure to ask.
I am here to help you will all tax related issues.

Lev
Lev
Lev, Tax Advisor