Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

Gift tax: assume $5m+ exclusion, annual increases in it and

Customer Question
$14K are all exhausted. How...
gift tax: assume $5m+ exclusion, annual increases in it and $14K are all exhausted. How much is the gift tax on each $1.00 after that? Specifically, for each extra $1.00 I give that person, how much do I pay to the IRS?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
11/23/2015
Tax Professional: Barbara, Enrolled Agent replied 2 years ago
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent

Under current law (for deaths in 2015), each of us can give away or leave up to $5.43 million without owing federal gift and estate tax. So, for example, if during your life you give your children your house, worth $1 million, plus another $4 million in stocks and bonds, no federal gift tax will be due. The exemption amount is indexed for inflation and goes up each year.

In addition to the $5.43 million exemption, many other gifts are not subject to the gift tax—for example, gifts to a spouse. So if you give your $1 million house and $4 million of other property to your children, and another $7 million to your spouse, you still won’t owe any gift tax.

The current federal gift/estate tax rate is 40%.

http://www.nolo.com/legal-encyclopedia/the-federal-gift-tax.html

Please let me know if you require further information or clarification.

Thank you and best regards,

Barb

Thanks, ***** ***** aren't answering my question.
How much in tax? 40% of what? If $100,000 is given, does the gifter pay $40,000 of the $100,000 given or a grossed up number (approx $70,000), like compensation?

40% is the top gift tax rate.

Please see the table on page 18 of the following link:

https://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-pdf/i709.pdf

As you can see from the table, it is a progressive rate ranging from 18% to 40%.

Just following up with you to see if you have any other questions or concerns. If so, please come back to me here at your convenience. If not, please take a moment to rate my answer since that is the only way I receive credit for answering you and alerts Just Answer to compensate me for a portion of the fee you previously paid.

Best regards,

Barb

Barbara
Barbara
Barbara, Enrolled Agent