Tax

Have a Tax Question? Ask a Tax Expert

Tax

I am 56 years old and ssdi and my wife 63 and is still

Customer Question
working. can she file for...
I am 56 years old and ssdi and my wife 63 and is still working. can she file for ss and put on hold until she turns 68 and start receiving spousal benefits and what kind if any would this have her future ss retirement ?
Submitted: 2 years ago.Category: Tax
11/21/2015
Tax Professional: emc011075, Tax adviser replied 2 years ago
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser

Hi. My name is ***** ***** I will be happy to help you.

If you are collecting social security benefits and your spouse is eligible for spousal benefits at age 62. However, if she start collecting social security benefits before her full retirement age (65 in her case), her own but also but also the spousal benefits will be permanently reduced. She can only collect one benefit but she cannot put the other one on hold and receive full benefits in future. That's the penalty for applying for social security benefits before full retirement age.

Assuming she was born in 1952 and start collecting spousal benefits in December 2015, her own benefits will be permanently reduced 17% and if she applies for the spousal benefits, she will receive about 39% of yours.

I see you read my respond. Do you have any questions? Is there anything else I can help you with today?

And if this answered your question, please take a moment to rate my response so that I may receive credit for assisting you today. However, if you need clarification, or want to discuss this issue further, let me know. Thank you.

emc011075
emc011075
emc011075, Tax adviser